A community that had existed here had no official name until Dr. A. H. Collins, the town namesake, established a post office on May 28, 1897. Henry P. Cook was the first postmaster. Then it became known as either Collins or Collins Post Office. The name officially became Collinsville by June 1898 and it incorporated as a city in April 1899. The population in 1900 was 376.
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe routed its line from Kansas to Owasso, Oklahoma about a mile west of Collinsville in 1899 to avoid crossing an additional stream. The town’s buildings were moved on rollers to be nearer to the track in 1899 and 1900.
Collinsville (link http://www.collinsville.k12.ok.us/) originally was located in Rogers County. In 1918, the residents voted to be annexed by Tulsa County, in order to be nearer to a county seat. It was only 20 miles north of Tulsa.
An abundant supply of sulfur-free coal lay near the surface, which attracted 1500-2000 miners. Oil and gas production and zinc smelting boomed briefly during the first two decades of the 20th century. The local population swelled to around 8,000 people. But the population swiftly declined as these businesses ceased. By 1930, there were 2,249 residents. Since the 1920s, the economy has been based primarily in agriculture. Several dairies located in Collinsville, many delivering products to Tulsa. In 1948, Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical University named Collinsville “the Dairy Capital of Oklahoma.”
Collinsville is located about 20 miles north of Tulsa, and lies within a triangle formed by the Caney River, Verdigris River, and Bird Creek. As of 2010, Collinsville was home to 5,606 residents.
In the early years, Collinsville’s economy was largely based on coal mining. That industry declined during the 1920s and was replaced by agriculture as the mainstay of the local economy. The Sallee Family Dairy started up in 1912, with local deliveries by buggy.
Collinsville has one newspaper, the Collinsville Times Star. It is Tulsa County’s oldest newspaper and Collinsville’s oldest continuously operating business. The paper is published every Wednesday. It is owned, edited, and published by Bill Johnston.